Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Sept 8th - Day 25 (The End is Nigh)

Well, what began on Aug. 15th at an early hour some 25 days ago, looms on the horizon (through the fog) as the culmination of my adventure.


Up at 6:30 and packed by 7:15 I enjoyed a coffee and light breakfast with a non to active Lee. Seems he was feeling a little under today as I was energized from a great sleep and excellent previous day off. Final check and inspection that all zippers were zipped I headed out from Duvall just before 8AM through the fog.


After clearing Arlington on the 203 and Menzel Lk Rd, the fog lifted and blue skies appeared with promises kept for the whole route home. I nixed the rain jacket (nylon fly we'll call it) and felt a touch of the sun but the temp stayed at a comfortable 12-18 most of the way.


Passing Darrington I began to get glimpses of Mount Baker in the distance, with the fog clouds continuing to burn off. It looked so majestic and serene. Riding through the mix of wooded and farm fields I truly enjoyed every moment, but with typical glances in the side mirrors there was a slight feeling of solitude as this was the only time, the only day I was solo. I was so used to either following or leading with someone the entire time that I almost expected to see the single headlight of Jeff appearing in the distance. No matter, this as with all the other wondrous views was for me.

Pausing several times for photos, I lingered for a 15 minute break just after coming around the summit corner (plenty of new chip seal) and looked back at the sharp mountains I had just passed through. A great mix of roads and ideal conditions, the rest of the way my head filled with images past. I too look forward to reading this again from start to finish as I sift through the over 1000 images that will serve to remind me of what a blessed and excellent trip it has been.




A quick stop for lunch at 12:30 in Winthrop with it's old west street appeal, I headed for the final US stretch. Stopping in Omak for a fuel top off and the simple 40 mile jaunt to the border. The wait at customs took a little more than 1/2 hour with a very friendly and welcoming officer. He asked more questions about my trip and highlights than duty issues.



Still trying to avoid highway where ever possible, I quickly rode up to Burrowing Owl Winery for a view overlooking the S. Okanagan vineyards. First and only time I got stung by a wasp, little bugger got me just under my right cheek. At least it shows I can still feel. Passing through Summerland I was quite impressed with the progress of the Hwy 97 widening project, as it looks so much better and will provide safer and quicker passage to future South bound trips. Sometimes you just can't avoid a slab.




Just before the decent into Peachland, I again paused for a break and enjoyed the lake and valley view towards home. With everything experienced this trip, I still appreciate the beauty of where I live. Of course, add to that the absence of heavy rain and of course I was happy to be dry and warm on my final leg.







I pulled into my garage at just before 7PM. Just hanging my jacket and Crystal, not hearing the door or me, opened the door with a very surprised and welcoming look, "Welcome home Honey!" and she hugged her big, smelly husband with all the might that an 85lb person can.


Home. I honestly felt really good. So good that given different circumstances I could easily continue on. The travel rule of 4 days riding 1 day off really made everything (even the worst day) quite right. Of course, the bonus of having helpful hands along the way, a friendly home and garage (and laundry) to ride towards and all the incredible people who also own VFR's and participate in an online discussion group really helps too.


Now, it's time to relax, do laundry, clean the bike and start sifting through the images. I'll be tracing the entire route (by the way, final count was 6754 miles) on a Western US map with a summary of roads, hotels and places that are must see's for anyone else taking a trip. One more post to come. Of course I also need to start making plans for next year's meet. Not as long a trip, but none the less - a key part of great living.



Always have something (no matter what) to look forward too.

Never doubt yourself.

Trust in true friendship.

Know where you come from and dream of where you'll go.

No comments:

Post a Comment