Sunday, September 6, 2009

Sept 6th - Day 23 (The Worst Day)

Note: Due to the severe weather encountered, I apologize for no pictures here. Use your imagination.

Well, it started out knowing that we would hit rain. I wasn't able to plan a route with Sally so it was understood that this route was up to Jeff to get us the 234+ miles to Lee's place in Duvall. I had all the faith in him for the 4-5 hour endeavour.

We left Tim's with a big hug and faith in making it through. Heading up the interstate we branched off at the 503 bound for Cougar and the loop around Mt St. Helen. The 30 miles of the 503 were miserable as we were pummelled by driving rain which worked it's way into every nook, cranny, both sides of the visor making visibility really bad, fingers, toes and the dreaded crotch soaking! We pulled under an abandoned station. Decisions to make: do we turn back to the interstate, push on through Mt St Helens or get a room and wait it out - as we reviewed the map and Jeff's plans, it was off to St. Helens.

Pulling out the rain stopped and the sun came through, only to be a wave goodbye though. The rain got heavier and the temperature dropped to 6 on my gauge. I would lift my hand and squeeze my glove like a sponge watching the water drain, only to have it re saturate as I opened my fingers. We pulled into Randle for temporary shelter at a station and decided to push down the 12 to Morton (a town I recognized as where Craig & I had stayed some 3 years prior, returning from the PNW Newport meet). Here we gassed up and had a quick sandwich.

Jeff looked at me and said, "I think that was a mistake". Shivering I agreed with a grin but it was done and behind us. Visors cleaned and quick call to Lee informing him that we were still 138 miles away, we proceeded up Hwy 7 to Eatonville with a renewed plan to get there. Jeff was determined to keep us away from the interstate and the blowing sheets of rain of traffic. Though at this point, I could have argued the direct factor I kept the faith as we traveled on the 162 North. It wasn't until we went through Burnett, heading South on the 165 (oopps, wrong way - a move I was known for) for a couple of miles. At this point my GPS started to add miles rather than diminish. Stop. Map check and regrouping. Time to get there cause I was shivering and getting leg cramps from the prolonged temp and full drenching.

We passed through Buckley, heading for Enumclaw (wait till you read the next paragraph on this one) we continued through varying rain, sun, rain, driving rain and black fog. A mish mash of turns and roads finally brought us to the 169, overlooking the 18 above where I knew we 'wanted' to be. Stopping on the road side I waited to see how far Jeff would continue before noticing I was not there. Minutes later he returned and we were both frustrated and fatigued. He commented, "we need to stick to one GPS and stop chasing side roads." I asked if he was ready for the interstate now and I would follow the last 39 miles to just get there. Away we go and at 5:15 we pulled into Lee's garage, 9 hours to complete a 6 hour journey. I dismounted and found the notes from Lee to make ourselves at home, turning around to find Jeff still on his bike planning his final 3 hours to get home to Vancouver, WA. He as determined to get there and he was off.

I went in, put the clothes on to wash, had a hot shower and changed to dry duds. Ahhh, a beer in hand and MotoGP racing on TV I was getting the good feelings back in me. Around 7:30 Lee and his wife Pauline came home, greeting me like a brother. We kibitzed about the trip, then Pauline broke the news (noted from above).

Apparently, a TYPHOON had been reported hitting Enumclaw, causing power outages, down trees, property damage and extreme debris on several roads. We were riding right along side of this weather system, just missing the eye of damage by about 1/2 hour. Hindsight and a blessed hand that guided us through, providing some valued experience and lessons. Lessons that will be with me in the future that I will document in the summary to follow in a few days.

Relaxing at Lee's and thanking him for a 2 day layover with the promise of weather reports that Tuesday will bring sunshine and dry roads to travel the final 354 miles to home. A real home! No more loading the bags every morning, searching for laundry facilities and planning routes to new adventures. It will be time for recapping and documenting the entire trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment