Saturday, September 5, 2009

Sept 5th - Day 22

After a great night sleep (and awesome dinner) we awoke around 7ish and slowly gathered ourselves together for the short jaunt to Vancouver, WA. Dawning our rain gear as the forecast called for our first encounter with wet stuff in weeks, we headed up the road to Lincoln City and a turn off at Otis as we took the 18 towards Portland. We weren't able to avoid some slabbing to make it over the Columbia, crossing into Washington.


We stopped at a small cafe for a bite, not having any moisture hit us yet. Exiting, it was still looking like blue sky trying to burn through the clouds so I made the decision to nix my jacket but keep the rain pants on (what was I thinking - obviously not thinking). Not more than a 1/2 hour down the road, the rain started up. We continued on and once looking down with Sally showing only 1 hour to our destination it was time to scrum up and push through.


Heavy rains, traffic and the worn plastic of my zip lock baggie (impromptu rain cover for the GPS) made visibility of lanes and turns a little tough. True to my nature I missed a lane and ended up taking us into an industrial area of Portland. Jeff, being ever so supportive pulled up and yelled through his helmet, "What are you turning for, we're still in Portland?!" Ya, I know, just another little side trip with Sally & I. Quickly we re-routed and headed back on the freeway, pulling into Tim & Cassie's neighbourhood within 30 minutes. Within another 30 minutes, the sky cleared the sun came out. A call from Keith also confirmed, had we waited until 11 to leave we would have had a dry ride the whole way. Eh? No big deal.

We were greeted with towels, hugs and beer! A quick change into dry clothes and the wet stuff into the dryer, Tim was off to the store for goodies. Upon his return, the bike went up on his "very cool" bike lift with the left side panel coming off we proceeded with an oil change to synthetic (what came out was as black as squid ink - no pun) we also did a chain spec tension, tightened up the starter coil, curing the rolling starting issue and replaced a few fairing grommets.




Good thing both Tim & Loni were both there to ensure we were tightening everything to Newton Metric torque specs. Thanks also to Loni for the chain & sprocket cleaning - the only time it was cleaner than Jeff's! From there it was more ridicule for using break fluid as chain lube, how dirty things were, how my chain sat funny, why my vapour drain tube was in the wrong place - I'm just glad I was there for everyone to vent, after all, better me than a lesser man.




After all was done, Tim & Cassie went to work on the most outstanding dinner complete with additional guests and plenty of good natured social (put PC) conversations. Smoked and Q'd ribs, chicken, beans, macaroni salad, fresh corn bread and more beer - fantastic. Tim, you are the king! Rolling off to 10:30, both Jeff & I were feeling the toll of the road, not having our full day off in 4 it was time to crash, but not before another dozen people rolled through the door and the 2nd phase of the evening kicked in. Friends of Tim's from times past there was quickly a roar of mixed conversations about the room. Jeff snuck upstairs to the room while snuck out to the living room and hit the couch. Too funny, as many of the guests were concerned about disturbing me, where I was concerned that my snoring might disturb them - neither was the case as they would look in on me finding a pile of sawdust building from my slumbering lumberjack chorus lines.


Awoke to a straggler from the party sleeping in the other room, apparently having had excessive amounts of whiskey that took it's toll. Not I, fresh as a spring daisy and ready to take on the day. This recap is from the day after as the night before it just wasn't possible. Now, to make the next jaunt from Vancouver, WA - Duvall, WA and Choco's place. Looks like blue sky again, but I'll keep the rain gear on this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment